View Single Post

October 23rd, 2012, 09:45
Originally Posted by Maylander View Post
The problem with exploration in BG1, and probably the reason why they call it tedious, is the fact that each map usually only has 1-2 places worth visiting (edit: As DeepO has already mentioned). Once you've played through the game a few times, BG1 is suddenly a 20 hour game because so many locations are completely useless. Killing a billion kobolds for the umpteenth time is neither challenging nor entertaining.

That being said, BG2 could've used a bit more exploration, so somewhere in the middle is probably a good place to land.
Well, as with all things - that's subjective.

You can't get much exploration out of cramming areas with content - because it won't feel much like open world exploration.

Also, BG1 exploration had a lot of XP - and all areas were pretty generous with creatures and NPCs. So, it never felt that tedious - because you were progressing.

At least, that's how I feel about it.

In the end, it's the good old linear vs non-linear debate. Some people prefer a more directed experience - and som prefer a more open world approach. It's a matter of degree - and I personally prefer a good balance of both.

I just don't think Obsidian are particularly suited for non-linear exploration design - going by their past games.

That said, I think Storm of Zehir was actually pretty good in that way.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential