View Single Post

October 24th, 2012, 22:55
Originally Posted by Fluent View Post
Hello. I have been thinking about this recently so I thought I'd post and see what you guys thought.

Can someone tell me why there is no competition to Skyrim, or Elder Scrolls games in particular? Why are Elder Scrolls games (and recent Fallout games) the only first-person open-world RPGs on the market?

Shouldn't there be competition? You would think with how many copies Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim have sold, that there would be other companies out there trying to make first-person open-world RPGs. You would think they would have saw around Morrowind's time, or even Oblivion's time, that these types of games attract a large amount of people.

Yet here we are near the end of 2012, and no one else is making first-person role-playing games. It's baffling to me. If it wasn't for Bethesda this style of game wouldn't even be on the market right now.
The reason is that these games are extremely challenging to make, especially to make them run on consoles with all that persistent data.

An experienced team that has already developed several of these games still takes four years to make each sequel.

The reason Obsidian was able to develop Fallout New Vegas in two years was because Bethesda had previously dedicated so many years toward developing and refining the FO3 engine.

With Skyrim's success, perhaps we will start to see more of these big open world RPGs from other developers, but to do it right takes several years, and most large publishers are simply not willing to commit to that, not to mention the challenges of making them run on consoles with 256MB memory. Should be a bit easier with the next gen consoles, however.

Originally Posted by Fluent View Post
Ken Rolston agrees with me. He said there is a demand for a game like Morrowind to be made, yet be made more accessible.
In my view, BGS achieved that with Skyrim. It is like Morrowind in many ways, but more accessible.

CountChocula

Keeper of the Watch