View Single Post

October 28th, 2012, 16:29
Running a PUG is like opening a box of chocolate, you never know what you get. I try to limit my PUG runs because you can easily get into a group with people who don't know what they're doing. Since I'm running mostly on elite it means the group can wipe if it makes a mistake.

My experience with PUG's is that the bad ones are NOT about the characters being under-geared or poorly built. No, the bad runs come from the PLAYERS don't working as a team. You have to be patient and let the rogue / artificer deal with traps in trap heavy quests. You don't wander off from the main group and expect you can get away with it unless you're a TR with all the gear you need.

Often I see PUG's with no leader. That means the players move off in all directions and die here and there. If you have a good leader who give instructions you can get people to follow. But even a good leader can't make everyone follow. So if you get chaotic players in the group who can't take directions then you're in trouble.

Knowing the quest before helps a lot. That is one reason you see that our guild runs almost never wipe, even though we have to use hirelings. The only exception was the Xorian Cipher. That quest is one of the hardest in the game at level and we hadn't run it for years. So we didn't know what to expect. It was very trap heavy and you need a strategy to win.

So I can understand you getting exhausted and frustrated from running many PUG's. That's probably why Corwin stopped pugging some years ago.

PUG groups will become a bit better at mid / high level compared to low / mid. One reason is that the worst players tend to drop off because they get to high level.

Paladin of Tyr
Last edited by Peter Stauffenberg; October 28th, 2012 at 16:45.

Peter Stauffenberg

Keeper of the Watch

Send a message via ICQ to Peter Stauffenberg Send a message via Skype™ to Peter Stauffenberg