View Single Post

October 31st, 2012, 18:41

Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Well because Lucas has lost his passion for the entire business. During a recent article he said he was dissatisfied with the current film industry. He said he would never direct another Star Wars movie.

LINK-http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/ma…er=rss&emc=rss
He shouldn't have directed these three. He lost passion for directing while on the set of the first star wars movie. Told Mark Hamil directing is great except for the actors.

But we know why he directed the last three: he was getting older and wanted to show he's still got it.

He operated IL&M at a loss becuase that was his real baby, but competition caught up with him.

More importantly, his divorce cost him $250million and that's why he came back.

Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
Well I guess Lucas is ready to retire and cash out for his progeny. All salute the American dream.
this.

Also, the way Star Trek had (is still having) its run.

Originally Posted by Drithius View Post
It's weird that Disney paid 7 billion for Pixar studios but 'only' 4 billion for Lucasfilms. Lucasfilms is also behind Indiana Jones, etc. I would have never thought Pixar to be valued that high, especially in comparison to Lucasfilms.
Without Pixar there would be no Disney today and Pixar knew it. Lilo and Stitch was a largely viewed as a failure.

Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
It was good entertainment, but it was ultimately hollow. Whedon is good at providing entertainment - but he's not someone I would want for a serious treatment of Star Wars.

Case in point: The last episode of Firefly with that assassin character. Really interesting and engaging. Great dialogue and funny jokes. But it all ends up being nothing at all. Nothing is actually said - and we simply have things mused upon by a good actor.

But that's me, and a lot of people probably just want more popcorn ala Avengers.

The more I think about it, the more I think Ben Affleck would be a great choice. He's a big Star Wars fan - and he's something of a geek. He's also proven himself to be a fantastic director.

I think it would be really interesting to see someone like him take it on.

But I fear they will go with the likes of J.J. Abrams or Whedon. They're probably safer in business terms, because they appeal to the masses in a very big way.
It wasn't hollow - it was already cancelled and was clearly the inpiration for the movie. Whedon couldn't make any episodes - Fox wanted another Buffy, not another expensive Sci-Fi. Also, TV Execs are an extremely backstabbing lot, but especially at Fox which is why only shows like Simpsons, Ally McBeal, American Idol, and Married with Children ever lasted (too long). Its why shows like Futurama and In Living Color got axed even with a strong fanbase.

Originally Posted by Toff View Post
My favorite Disney princess is Princess Leia!
FTW

Originally Posted by coaster View Post
lol.

Jake Lloyd ("Whoops!" Ha ha my sides have split at his antics).
Tatooine (yet again. Does the Empire/Republic only contain like 3 planets)
C3PO and R2D2 (Darth Vader built Threepio. How many droids in this galaxy? 3, like the planets?)
Jar Jar Binks (and the rest of his ridiculous race). Let Naboo burn.
Palpatine looking and sounding exactly like Sidious but its A MYSTARY WHO HE IS.
Amidala and her stupid double routine.
A plot based around taxation. Even economists like me don't want to watch films with taxation in them.
Jedi who can now do crazy kung fu moves and leaps unlike in 20 years in the future when Luke's around, at which point they move like normal humans.
Mitocholianianiunians. Hey, whats your mitacholroiniconian count?
Calling Darth Vader "Annie".
Virgin birth - there was no father. Sure there wasn't, Schmi.
The name "Phantom Menace" which sounds like a Marvel baddie.

Oh god where do I stop. It's the worst film in a rubbish trilogy of rubbish.
Revenge of the Sith was a good movie. But as my friend put it, its too bad it took him three movies to do it.

Also, Phantom Menace had a pretty intricate plot and good characterization even if the dialogue (and lack) and acting made you cringe. There was a lot going on if you don't care about character interaction and actors not doing a very good job of intereacting with CGI. But even the plot was part of the problem:

Star Wars and Indiana Jones were styled after the movie serials of the 1940's. Lucas was so caught up in trying to still be relevant and even groundbreaking he completely forgot why Star Wars was so much more enjoyable than 2001: A Space Odyssey.

There's a lot of material from the books that Disney could work with: they should probably get Kevin Anderson to write it.

If they're not careful though they could have another John Carter or SW:ToR on their hand. Either way it will be colossal.

Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch