View Single Post

October 31st, 2012, 23:39
Originally Posted by blatantninja View Post
I would like to see them like BG2. I know many weren't happy with them, but I still regularly consider leaving my wife for Aerie
Imo, BG2Žs romances are pretty much the worst way to go about it.
Quality of writing aside, gating large chunks of content via romance checks without compensation sucks.
If there are to be any developing relationships between pc and companions in PE (and there very likely are), it definitely should not be along the "either youŽll romance me or IŽll be silent for most of the game" lines.
ThereŽs a whole spectrum of possible kinds of relationships and I hope Obsidian will implement this stuff organically and without devoting more content to one type at the expense of others, both in the context of the companion roster as a whole and in the context of individual companions.

Also, coincidentally thereŽs a brand new interview with Avellone where he sorta addresses the issue :
Not a big fan of romances. I did four in Alpha Protocol because Chris Parker, our project director, demanded it because he thinks romance apparently is easy, or MAYBE it’s because he wanted to be an asshole and give me tons of them to do because I LOVE them so much (although to be honest, I think he felt it was more in keeping with the spy genre to have so many romances, even if I did ask to downscope them). At least I got to do the “hatemance” version of most of them, which makes it a little more palatable.

Also, the only reason the romance bits in Mask of the Betrayer worked was because George Ziets helped me with them since he was able to describe what love is to me and explain how it works (I almost asked for a PowerPoint presentation). It seems like a messy, complicated process, not unlike a waterbirth. Don’t even get me started on the kissing aspects, which is revolting because people EAT with their mouths. Bleh.

So if I were to implement a romance subplot in Eternity - I wouldn’t. I’d examine interpersonal relationships from another angle and I wouldn’t confine it to love and romance. Maybe I’d explore it after a “loving” relationship crashed and burned, and one or both was killed in the aftermath enough for them to see if it had really been worth it spending the last few years of their physical existence chained to each other in a dance of human misery and/or a plateau of soul-killing compromise. Or maybe I’d explore a veteran’s love affair with his craft of murder and allowing souls to be freed to travel beyond their bleeding shell, or a Cipher’s obsession with plucking the emotions of deep-rooted souls to try and see what makes people attracted to each other beyond their baser instincts and discovers love… specifically, his love of manipulating others. You could build an entire dungeon and quest where he devotes himself to replicating facsimiles of love, reducer a Higher Love to a baser thing and using NPCs he encounters as puppets for his experimentations, turning something supposedly beautiful into something filthy, mechanical, but surrounded by blank-eyed soul-twisted drones echoing all the hollow Disney-like platitudes and fairy tale existence where everyone lives happily ever after.
Sounds like a plan to me .
Last edited by DeepO; October 31st, 2012 at 23:50.

DeepO

deep outside