View Single Post

November 4th, 2012, 00:44
"Please don't kid yourself into thinking that the industry has made any "progress," or done anything else but simply go along laterally, temporarily embracing and later abandoning one fashion after another."

Strongly strongly strongly disagree. And I'm usually a big fan of Barton's. I mean, in terms of RPGs, of course there has been progress. That doesn't mean EVERY sub-genre of RPG or EVERY approach to designing an RPG has been improved, but there have been RPGs released in the last twenty years that have added to the RPG genre. This is even more obvious outside of RPGs. Action-style games, platform games, etc. have all grown by leaps and bounds. Try playing a fighter from the 80's, then play a BlazBlue or Guilty Gear. Try playing Double Dragon then.. I don't know.. Guardian Heroes. Or Final Fight 3. Or God of War (basically a beat'em'up).

I basically see video game evolution as comparable to biological evolution. There's not a straightforward trend "forwards," but there is increasing diversity and complexity. As such, we are always making progress as a community.

killias2:
Steam is the only answer. It's convenient, it's easy to use, it's simple and fast. It's great.

killias2

Sentinel