View Single Post

November 6th, 2012, 00:08
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post
Perfect example of how everyone's interests are different… I thought the best part of the game was visiting all the other planets and investigating the little mysteries. The Mako was a great way to do it IMO. You actually felt like you were exploring. What's more, is if you didn't care about collecting the stuff for the rather useless side quests (matriarch writings, etc) you could just skip it and stick to the "main" part of each planet. What you did, and to what extent, was up to you.

To me, this was the single-greatest flaw of the next 2 games. For everything they did to improve the characters/drama in the sequels, taking out that pure exploration aspect was unfortunate.

And I thought the game length for all 3 games was perfect because, again, you could do whatever side quests you wanted, or you could stick to the main plot. Kind of like Skyrim. If you do all the side quests, you're easily over 100hrs. If you do the main plot, far less. The game is what you make of it.
I can't really pick out what exactly bored me in the game. I enjoyed the exploration, and I'm one of the few who actually enjoyed exploring on planets with the Mako. Overall, it was a fun game, but I just got burned out on those side quests. I got overwhelmed because it was not that easy to track which star systems you have been to and which you haven't, and searching all over for new quests was more of a pain to me than actually fun. I realize I could have just advanced the main plot, but at that point I was sick of the game so I didn't.

Still, I'd give it a solid 8.5/9.0 on a scale of 1-10 in terms of overall fun factor. It was fun while it lasted, for sure. I have some fond memories of that game, and I'm sure someday I will replay it again and try to work my way through the trilogy. I tend to just get bored and never finish games, but it's usually better when I replay them a 2nd time.

Fluent

RPG Fiend
RPGWatch Team