View Single Post

November 6th, 2012, 21:33
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Do you seriously mean to suggest you don't understand the concept of impatience?

Have you never wanted something so badly that you didn't want to wait?

In this case - some people are getting it much sooner - while the rest have to wait for it.

It's an exceedingly simple concept that's hardly worthy of much study.

Personally, I'm in no hurry to get this DLC for Skyrim, because I've already played it and I'm waiting for the mods to mature and all DLC to be released. But I have no issue comprehending that my case is for me, and other people are different from myself. Some people really love Skyrim and they want everything as soon as possible.

I think exclusivity is an anti-consumer business concept that's all about greed. As for whether they have "more money" available for other things - we have no idea what kind of money they'd need for their next thing or how they invest them. The profit from this exclusivity deal with Microsoft could go directly to hookers and hamburgers for all we know. If we go along with everything that gets more money into the hands of publishers - expecting that to result in better games, then we're being pretty blind to the reality of the current industry standard.

If that was the case, then we'd see a very, very different kind of game as the norm today.

In any case, selling 10 million copies of Skyrim should be enough to get them rolling on the next project, I'd say. Exclusivity on top of that is just tasteless opportunism. Having a gold mine like TES means you can afford to care about your consumers.
That much impatience is pretty much alien to me. I`m a patient person, yes. But above that I`m very busy so those things really don`t grasp my awareness.
The last time I had to deal with that was when Rocksmith came out.. I don`t have an Xbox or Playstation so I had to wait more than a year from the promised release date for that game on PC even though I was VERY hyped. But it was no big deal, I had so much alternative stuff to do and take care of that I just shrugged it.

As for the opportunism and greed topic - I`ve observed that the more publishers and game companies earn the less they respect their consumers. I think losing consumers is a much bigger blow to a small indie developer than it is to, let`s say, EA or Ubisoft or Bethesda.

arthureloi

Visionary Vampire