View Single Post

November 10th, 2012, 13:52
Originally Posted by Dez View Post
I don't understand his attitude. Many gamers have got to know his wonderfull books because of witcher series. Shouldn't he be even a tiny bit gratefull for that?
This sounds to me like :

"We did a kind of free advertisement for you, why aren't you greateful ???"

No. He is just independent. Nothing more, nothing less.

He is as independent as a farmer growing his own vegetables is - in my example - independent from grocery stores for buying food.

They might sell an amount/a part of his homegrown vegetables, but he still grows the far greater part for his on food - in this sense he is still independent, although a fan of his sold vegetablesmight say : "The grocery store mde you much ore known - why aren't you grateful for that ?" He just doesn't want to. He grows his own food and he is just content with that.

My biggest fear - as an author - would be giving out a license for film-making, game-making etc. . Simple because nowdays this means : "we pay you money for the liense AND WE CAN DO ANYTHING WE WANT WITH THAT MUAHAHAHA !!!"

That's how Hollywood and the Games industry too often work like. Sad.

One example of The Black Cauldron by Lloyd Alexander.
The Disney movie was just a mixture of several components from his books, put together on a string to make a story out of it, nohing more. And one of the main background figures just isn't there.

A recent similar case is How To Train Your Dragon - a wonderful movie, even "blessed" by the author - but it has NOTHING to all to do with the real books !

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR