View Single Post

November 11th, 2012, 07:06
Originally Posted by SpoonFULL View Post
Counter to Kickstarter's ethos, I seem to be only drawn to well established individuals/companies to support; I need their good track record and history to provide a kind of guarantee for my investment.
I used to look at Kickstarter as an investment platform for games until I read to your pledges are donations and the recipient of aforementioned donation IS NOT OBLIGED to fulfill his promise - "by law" they don't have to deliver the game or any other final product they promised. Your pledges are non-refundable.
However I believe in big projects as well - it's better for Obsidian to make $100 millions in revenue by making a Project Eternity than "steal" $4 millions. The other thing IMO that pushed Obsidian to crowd funding was the fact that they got ripped by the publisher of Fallout New Vegas (Bethesda) promised the big bonus under the condition that the Metascore will be at least 85. They sold 5 million copies of the game (not including the Ultimate edition) and the Metascore was only 84…. so no bonus and the greedy publisher is happy.

xep624

SasqWatch