View Single Post

November 12th, 2012, 00:25
Originally Posted by Archibald View Post
I was thinking about the graphics, and I decided to keep the overall style of big pixels (I will try to polish the actual graphics and colours, but no change to the pixels size). To be honest, I kind of like that graphics style (big, colourful), I guess not everyone shares my taste here, but I hope the rest of the game will be good enough to lure some of the peole who are not fans of this graphics style
For me, good gameplay takes priority over pretty graphics. I guess growing up with horrendous CGA PC graphics of the 80s made me very tolerant. Anyway, Minecraft has proven that chunky, pixelated graphics can exist in a popular game if the gameplay is fun enough. The key is consistency of the art style, and using those few pixels to their full potential.

Have you by any chance been to the TIGSource forums? TIGSource = The Independant Gaming Source, a community site for indie game developers. I mention it because they tend to be receptive to retro-style pixel art like this. The Creative / Art subforums might offer some useful critique. I always find it inspiring to browse through there and see what people are working on.

Myrkrel

Sentinel