View Single Post

November 13th, 2012, 18:47
Well, I think weīre on the brink of posting in circles and this thread is kinda old heh, so just a few quick notes:
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
ME2 was just too streamlined and straightforward. I don't remember ever feeling like there was a meaningful choice involved.
Yep, it was too streamlined, but on the other hand classes, powers and guns felt more distinct.
It just didn't feel like it. It felt like you were on a timer to get your team together.
Interesting. Personally Iīd say that the main quest in ME1 was presented as a more pressing matter, itīs even called Race Against Time, eventually. The trip through Omega relay was presented as a suicide mission so it felt more justified to fuck around to me.
That made the actual content more interesting - but the exploration was all but gone.
Thankfully. Remember, it sucked in ME1 .
There were two ways how to deal with it - either improve it dramatically or drop it. Dropping it may have not been the better solution of the two, but I generally consider exploration to be an aspect where being poor is worse than being none.
When it comes to discovery, for me the only such moments in ME1 were when Iīve arrived at "!", aka quest destination, and learned whatīs up. Rest was just driving to map icons with predictable content.
ME2 preserved those "!"īs in the form of anomalies.
If you couldn' tpredict enemy placement and combat in ME2 -
Of course I could, but this was far from being an issue big enough to make ME2īs combat less fun than ME1īs for me. I could usually predict combat in ME1 too anyway.
Also, while the combat mechanics were clumsy and awkward in ME1 - I felt combat in ME2 much, much more predictable. You did the same thing over and over.
Maybe you did, I didnīt. But then again, unlike ME1, ME2 actually doesnīt patronize players about picking difficulties for their first playthroughs, so I have no experience playing it on anything below hardcore.

What you think about most, is what you become.

DeepO

deep outside