View Single Post

November 14th, 2012, 19:25
Originally Posted by DeepO View Post
There are less overlaps in ME2, and ME1 does not come with gameplay changing powers such as tactical cloak, tech armor or charge.
No, it comes with gameplay changing powers like assassination, adrenaline and unity. Your point?

There are 4 distinct guns (+ one rare geth rifle, iirc) in ME1 and pistols outperform all.
No, you're talking about weapon types. There are hundreds of guns in ME1 - and there's a ton of modifications available for them. I always use sniper rifles - and I consider them superior to pistols.

ME2 comes with 5 basic weapon types, the guns within each category have different properties and have different gameplay feel, plus thereīs a wild card of sorts in the form of heavy weapons.
Yes, ME2 also has a small handful of weapon types. But instead of being able to modify them - and instead of having a large amount of them - they boil them down to a few of each.

Overall, I'd say it comes down to a similar amount of meaningful variety - but ME2 is cleaner and more streamlined.

The absence of mods is surely a minus overall, no argument here. There are 6 "mods" in the form of ammo powers though and some of these are more impactful than the mods in ME1, especially on higher difficulties.
For example, tungsten ammo in ME1 makes syntheticsī health bar go down faster and thatīs it. In ME2, disruptor ammo causes more damage to shields, has a chance to disable enemy weapons for a while, deals more damage to synthetics and has a chance to stun them for a while.
Ammo types, yeah. It's a much less interesting "mod" - but I'll grant you it's not totally dissimilar.

Along with the command of the Normandy you obtain three main missions and your Shepard is already 100% convinced that the main antagonist is on the brink of bringing back dudes who wiped out a galactic civilization before, so itīs pretty much race against time right from there. The quest "Race Against Time" itself appears in your journal once you finish either Feros or Noveria, which can be pretty early, especially since Feros is presented as urgent (colony under attack).
Yes, after Eden Prime, Noveria and Feros - and all the sidequests you can get at that point - it starts becoming a race against time. In my experience, that's around 75% into the game.

Again, the game does NOT feel like a race against time AT ALL - until you're near the end.

ME2 has two missions which come at certain points and canīt be postponed (makes sense story-wise) and the galaxy opens up pretty much fully roughly 1/3 into the game (btw, the galaxy isnīt fully open in ME1 either - some systems only become available once a main mission is completed), so I donīt see much difference in the basic gameplay structure. Except in ME2 the meatier content is spread out between more episodes (whereas ME1 comes with few large chunks of linear content), resulting in overall a more "customizable" experience in my book.
It's ok if you missed the urgency of the threat and the mission to collect a team ASAP to deal with it. I'm not saying you have to play the game fast - but that it FELT like I was on a timer. If you didn't feel that way - that's ok. That's where we differ.

Not planet scanning, the "!" encounters you could discover by it. Iīm starting to think you somehow missed the existence of this type of side content. These scenarios were mostly short and simple, but were fairly varied in flavour, level/art design and (back)story.
No, I think I got all of it. I already conceded that the actual content of the sidequests was more interesting - but that the exploration aspect was all but lost. I don't consider planet scanning exploration. I consider it grinding.

Iīm talking about quests like this. Compared to ME1, these quests came short in terms of dialogues, but didnīt generally feel as repetitive otherwise, to me.
How many times do I have to agree? It's like you want to say that the sidequest content was better over and over again, when I've already conceded that the content had more variety - but the exploration aspect was gone. I love exploration, so it's a big deal to me.

Yes!
There are 5 difficulty levels in ME1, but only 3 are open for a first playthrough.
I say "I want more challenge!", ME1 says "finish me twice first."
Unlike in ME2, higher difficulties in ME1 suck, but thatīs besides the point.
Ehm, what you call patronising - I call replayability. I think they want players to have something to look forward to - after completing the game on Veteran or lower.

But, you let the game insult you because of that. Another case of being very different

I'm glad Bioware stopped patronising players at ME2 - because that's certainly not what they did with Dragon Age 2 and SWtoR, right?

Your point is pretty weak - but ok.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential