View Single Post

November 14th, 2012, 21:22
Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
By what mechanism is DLC killing expansions? Is it just that the devs can only do one or the other because of limited time, so go for the more popular option?

I prefer expansion sized content myself, but I've known I'm a minority gamer for some time.
The DLC in itself is not to blame. It's the opportunism inherent in human nature.

Does it make sense to invest a lot of time, money and resources and sell for a higher price - or do you take advantage of the impulse-buy price point and sell trivial efforts for much less?

Again, look to the iPad/Smartphone market. You sell at a lower price point - and you get a ton of people to buy it. It doesn't have to be deep, long or all that great. Just "pretty good".

Expansions are just a waste of time when you can proft that much more from doing that much less. They're a much bigger deal to develop and market as something truly significant worthy of the higher price.

These days, with casual gamers leading the way - you don't need to balance anything. You can just add weapons and tools and people won't even know how easy the game is. Challenge isn't in demand - so they don't even have to bother with that aspect of design.

Just add assets and charge a low price. If you have a strong main game - you have a DLC platform. Again, it's a "service" that's ongoing.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential