View Single Post

November 19th, 2012, 15:55
Made it through Throtl Catacombs yesterday. Woot! Got thoroughly lost in the final part of the dungeon as I made a mistake in my mapping and was hurrying towards the end (it was well past midnight then). I did somehow manage to stumble onwards to the right direction. There I was rolling on like a whirlwind of swords and spells, slaying any and all opposition on my way, when the game gave me a pause. A warning of things to come. I didn't take the warning seriously, because surely the game won't make me face those things now, at this low level - only to find out there were two of them waiting for me. I nearly soiled my pants. However, to my surprise they weren't that hard to beat and I guess were the lower tier of those things. My AD&D lore failed me, again.

Spoiler

Originally Posted by PetrusOctavianus
There are three schools of magic, and Clerics actually worship named deities, which give different bonuses.
Yeah, this is great. I never liked how the clerics are so bland in the non-Krynn games. The same goes for mages, to a lesser degree. They were all so generic.

Elves and Dwarves are not nearly as restricted as their bretheren in the Forgotten Realms, and humans can't dual class, so there is more of a balance between the races. Dwarves can reach max levels as Fighters, and Elves max levels as magic-users.
This is also very good. To me Dual Classing has always felt like a cheat (more or less) and made non-humans even more undesirable as they couldn't do it, in addition to being level capped.

I find the early AD&D rules very quirky and clumsy, at times even plain stupid, as I've said before. However, I do still like the game regardless of the rules and that speaks volumes on the quality of the game, IMO.

So if you play the Krynn games more or less Iron Man
No, no, I don't play in Iron Man mode. I like to preserve what little is left of my sanity.

Champions of Krynn is actually the weakest of the Krynn games IMO. Things really pick up in Death Knights and Dark Queen is my favourite of all the Gold Box games.
Really? Well, I shall look forward with great interest to the subsequent parts in the trilogy then. Not sure if I'll have the stamina to go through all three, as these old games require a bit more effort to play than modern ones (mapping by hand, archaic interface, etc.), but I'll certainly try.

The enemy AI was still very basic in COK. This means if you are more than 12 squares away from a Magic-User and more than 6 squares away from a Cleric, you are safe from the Charm and Hold spells.
Thanks, this is good to know, but most of the time you are well within 12 squares of an enemy mage and often also within 6 squares of an enemy cleric. I can recall maybe 2 or 3 fights in my previous "bout" with CoK, where I was beyond 12 squares from the enemy.

Your Cleric is "old" because she's a half-elf.
Aye, I noticed that too. Heh, didn't remember I made her a half-elf.

I guess I have a soft spot for ugly, little midgets with big axes
Welcome to the club! I'd phraise that description: "ugly little midgets with big beards and even bigger axes".

"It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."

Lurking Grue

Random Encounter #23