View Single Post

Default University of Berkeley : Rich people have a greater tendency towards greed

November 21st, 2012, 23:25
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Luxury items are not based on what you produce or how hard you work, no. You seem very focused on rewards - but you seem oblivious to the concept of working for the result - and not a reward beyond the result.

There would be no fixed amount of luxuries. So, no.

There would be no societal demand, beyond the possibility of being part of a rotational workforce.
I overlooked your concept of "forced rotational labour". Out of curiosity, how will it be enforced? Do people get to choose what work they do or are they assigned to specific jobs?

I am not oblivious to the concept of working for the result otherwise I would not be working in the Space industry but instead in a bank earning considerably more money and meanwhile contributing to all the worlds financial woes .

The point I wanted to make is the following. Communism, the way it is implemented in the former Soviet Union, has shown that one cannot encourage competence, good work, effort and efficiency if the rewards, in whatever form, are lacking. Basic human behaviour. Working for the results is all great provided that you have a job that you like. Will your world guarantee this? if not, then I would never foresee a prosperous future for such world.

Suicide is an option and would not be illegal. As for the "vices" you suggest - they would not be illegal in the society. Gambling and prostitution, however, would work very differently - if at all.
Hmm, the example I stated wasn't meant to be taken literally.
My point is the following. Some form of vice is inevitable due to human nature. However, complete prohibition and full anarchy will IMO both have a very bad impact on society. So my point was to know to what extent you intend to "allow" vice.

I'm not sure what that has to do with delivery. If someone has made a restaurant somewhere - then it would depend on the speed of the public transportation system.
If I understood you correctly, luxury is obtained after a petition, or am I wrong? And, unless I understood you wrongly, resources and luxuries are distributed equally among the people. So I just wanted to understand better what procedure you had in mind for a trip on a Sunday, which would fit in the luxury category.

You're not listening. There is no set share of luxuries.
Then explain to me how luxuries are distributed among the people and in what quantities.

What? You can volunteer to maintain it, if you wish.
Not maintaining, I don't care about maintaining. I talk about developing. These things don't grow on mechanical trees, you know?

So, you're religious?
Make an educated guess .

In a select few areas, yeah. But you'd be surprised how complex it is to design a system that's workable and which seems feasible to someone who is extremely pragmatic - like myself.
Well, such a system could work if all involved share the same believes. But it will not take too long for little D'Artagnans to start popping out and after some while even newer D'Artagnans will see the light. And as we all know, the original D'Artagnan is not an inherently stable system and needs to have a very sophisticated control system to maintain balance. At some point, the control system of these new D'Artagnans will not be robust enough to accomodate changes and the system will start to diverge and when that happens…..

(sorry about the nerdy engineering terminology, couldn't resist )

Asdraguuhl

Sentinel