View Single Post

November 22nd, 2012, 00:52
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
You seem to miss the basics of the suggested system. Human "work" is not required - beyond the maintenance of the automated systems - and that will not be demanding in terms of competence. Also, it's impossible to accurately determine the level of human input required - but the goal is that it's going to be minimal. If that's not achievable - then the system is not really feasible.
OK, so if I understand you correctly, everything is already in place and people only need to apply just a minimum of labour for maintainance purposes. So you would basically cultivate a population of button pushers?

So that would imply no new developments and thus technological stagnation, am I correct? If that is the case, then how can you guarantee that scientific and technical know-how is maintained throughout subsequent generations?

On the long term, What if certain machinery starts to malfunction or if they need to be updated due to imminent environmental changes?

No, basic needs are met first. Luxury items - or what amounts to superfluous resources can be requested, and if they are available - they will be distributed according to weight of the request - which will likely be measured in votes behind the request - and votes based on the desirability of the outcome of attaining the items.

In other words, the more people behind the request for superfluous resourses - and the more people interested in whatever outcome of getting those resources - the higher a chance of receiving the luxury items in question.
Sorry, but this strikes as non-practical nonsense to me. How you intend to quantify this without causing any conflict is beyond me.

I have no idea why you think a sunday trip would enter into any of that.
This hypothetical trip is simply a collection of non-material luxuries and I was just wondering how it fit in your luxury distribution model.

who is smart enough to denounce religion
Yep
but not experienced enough to accept the possibility of it being a valid approach to life
Nope, very bad character judging on your part.

Anyway, as most people here, I do not agree with this world view. It reminds me a bit of the Amish communities where you either take it or leave it and are simply shunned and even exiled if you don't play along. Frankly speaking, I feel a bit stupid for taking this more seriously than I should.

Asdraguuhl

Sentinel