View Single Post

November 22nd, 2012, 22:52
@DArtagnan

First of all, our understanding of human psychology, behaviour and society is apparently very different so we won't come to any consensus debating this so there is little point in discussing any related topic in more depth. We'll end up limit cycling anyway.

From what I have understood from your concept, there are three main elements that are key, namely:
1. The involved people share the same philosophy agreeing and accepting voluntarily all rules and play by the rules without cheating.
2. All resources are in abundance and readily available
3. There is already an efficient and durable system in place in the form of infrastructures, machinery, centralised computers, etc., for sustaining life.

But let's be honest, every society that starts with those conditions will work. It is when things start to deviate from the nominal condition when it will be apparent whether the system is robust enough. And that is largely where my criticism lies.

Anyway, I watched a video of The Venus Project and now the world concept that you describe is much clearer now. You could and perhaps should have posted that link yourself when you introduced your idea because let's face it, you didn't do very good job at presenting it.

The idea of The venus Project is interesting but it still remains very idealistic and I am not convinced about the feasibility and long term sustainability. Also, the technological investment to achieve this would take decades, at least.

There was one particular comment that the "inventor" of the idea said that struck me as crucial. He says that for the system to work, people need to be challenged in order for them to pursue goals. Of course, it is easier said than done as he didn't provide methods to achieve that, at least not in the video. This is exactly one of the things that I was criticising about your model. The technologocial stagnation and the encouragement of work.

The project assumes the availability and efficient distribution of resources in such a way that everyone will have access to whatever they like. But I think that there is one serious flaw. When basic needs are met, people will turn towards secondary needs and there will always be certain goods that are scarce, this is just inevitable. To take a simple example, a finely handcrafted violin able to reproduce extraordinary sound or a 30 year old high quality wine. You will have a hard time convincing me that people will eventually not start competing over certain goods and/or services. And once you get there, things may follow a different path as previously intended.

One thing that the video doesn't talk about is the human psychologal side and they do not make assumptions about human nature in the same way that you do. So I assume that that is your partcular contribution to this concept .

P.S.

You still owe me an answer to a question that I asked you some time ago that you never bothered to answer.

Asdraguuhl

Sentinel