View Single Post

November 27th, 2012, 21:05
Originally Posted by Ihaterpg View Post
Well I haven't read much about the subject, perhaps between empathy and identification it's just a matter of degree of the same element.

I always play female characters when I can because I prefer watch a nice ass if view from behind or nice figure during dialogs or other. But I can get used quite fast to play a male character like Geralt or other. It's strange to be able to identify to a robot or an alien and not to a women. But there's perhaps good reasons for that and it's perhaps very common, perhaps women are too concrete aliens?

I quote you both skipped the comparison with novels, movies or tv series. So no identification out of games? I wonder if really, in general, and for adult, video games involve more identification than novels for example.

The trouble you quoted about evil context making quit, I also suffered of it despite I have a very low identification level. I never finished Deus Ex exactly because of that. I don't think it's a problem linked with identification. I'd say I am the proof it's not linked to an identification mechanism as I suffer of the problem and don't feel I identify to the hero played. Well it's not a demonstration but a clue.
Well, in movies and books I might identify with characters - because I find I have an easy time putting myself in their shoes, but since I don't have to interact on their behalf, I don't immerse myself in their roles. That said, I still can't identify well with women, robots, monsters and so on - unless there's a specific reason that makes them stand out and be more akin to myself.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential