View Single Post

November 28th, 2012, 15:06
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Oh, I don't think it's quite as clear cut as that. There's no such thing as objectively superior - no matter how much you try to claim it.

So, if women want more games designed for them - they should start being genuinely interested in the development side of the industry. I don't accept that the developers themselves are particularly sexist or "dude-bro" people. In fact, I think it's the opposite in many cases, where "nerds" (developers tend to be nerds) really appreciate women in their field. I don't buy that it's not open to women. It's a simple matter of women not being drawn to gaming and its potential - because they see it as predominantly violence oriented. They're not wrong, of course, but I'd like to claim that they're completely ignorant of the depth and weight some games have, as well.

Don't blame males for doing male stuff - because that's excessively ignorant.
Regarding NOLF, all I am saying is that it is one of the better games in the genre, something that is almost universally agreed.

As for development … you are simply dead wrong. There is a HUGE sexist streak in gamers and coders, where so many have been taught from an early age that boys are better than girls at STEM fields (which IS 'objectively' wrong). Society pushes boys and girls in different directions, and reinforces that by sexist treatment of women who choose technology fields. It is better than in my university days a couple of decades or so ago, but it is still very much true. Check out the #1ReasonWhy hashtag on twitter to see what is going on.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch