View Single Post

November 29th, 2012, 09:12
Originally Posted by xSamhainx View Post
i really am genuinely surprised to see you Dart not fully behind playing a female character, just on ethical reasons alone. I'd think you'd be totally against a male, white protagonist. That's just such a remnant of the unjustly male-dominated and capitalist gaming culture, poor women left cowering in the kitchen of booth babes and advertisements w/ the consoles unplugged. Not as bad as Jemy, who probably jumps at the change to play a gay black dwarf just to prove how open-minded and enlightened he is, but still, this… I'm shocked, Dart. Youre unable to tap into your female side.

You sexist pig!
Why, I'm flattered

Seriously, though, I'm all for playing female characters - I just can't do it and get the full enjoyment out of the experience. I always go for what maximises my enjoyment.

As for the whole sexism thing, I think it's stupid to single out gaming. Again, it's because of how the industry and the hobby evolved from the beginning. It's been male all the way - but it's not going to last. It will change slowly - and it's not unique and unchanging in that way. No one can claim that there's the same percentage of male vs female today as there was in the 1970s and 1980s. I don't know the numbers - but everything I know about human nature tells me that can't be right. Especially in this post-WoW era.

But campaigns against sexism should be generalised and not focused on places where there are more males - at least if any understanding is to be achieved. Again, human beings are sexist - and it has NOTHING to do with gaming. Females are just as sexist - because it's about ignorance, and ignorance is a universal trait.

Also, it would suit a lot of males and a lot of females to realise that there are differences between us - and pointing them out need not constitute sexism.
Last edited by DArtagnan; November 29th, 2012 at 09:31.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential