View Single Post

November 29th, 2012, 15:20
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
The numbers are clear:
- 50% of gamers are female.
- In 2006, 12% of game industry employees (design & development) were female … but in 2011 it was down to 6%.
Yeah, what was it like in the 1970s and 1980s? Also, I'm talking about females overall - not just developers.

If you look at the general engineering and specifically computer science and engineering workforce - you have ~30% females. Now as one of my two roles is as a Statistician I know too well that correlation doesn't mean causality … but there is plenty of other correlating evidence.
But you're arguing that it's because of sexism. No one is saying that the gaming industry isn't male-dominated. We're talking WHY that is so.

THAT is why gaming gets singled out - because it is an anomoly … and the 'frat house' mentality at so many game developer shops is a big part. Articles about huge meetings and outings held at strip clubs, or on boats with strippers, are endemic to the gaming world.
What has all that got to do with sexism, though? If they're all males - then what's the problem with going to strip-clubs? That's normal male behavior when males are together, I'd say.

So, if there's any sexism - it's not because of gaming.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential