View Single Post

December 1st, 2012, 10:59
Originally Posted by darkling View Post
Heh. It's funny to see someone say they don't like any D&D campaign settings and then they admit they aren't familiar any of them. Well, gosh, how do you know you don't like them? Sure, the Forgotten Realms got wrecked over time, but the 1E era was very focused and generally interesting.
Well, to be exact, I said I wasn't very familiar with them and I did not say I didn't like any of them - Dark Sun is a very good setting (as I said above). Also, I'd say I know enough, that I can tell those other settings wouldn't be my cup of tea exactly. One doesn't have to know all the ins and outs of a campaign world to judge if it suits them/if they like it. At least that's how I see it. I'm picky, I guess. If a book doesn't grab me by 100 pages (or so), for example, then I'm not going to read all through it just for completeness sake.

I used to own the boxed set of Forgotten Realms back in the 1980s and I've seen Faerun represented in many CRPGs later, so I have seen enough to know it doesn't inspire me that much. I'm well content to play CRPGs set in Faerun, for example, but to use it for PnP campaigns wouldn't interest me (which is why I sold the boxed set back in the day), nor the other settings, except Dark Sun, which is why I said "I never got into the other worlds". That's all.

P.S. Have to add, that Star Frontiers is a cool setting too (not D&D, but TSR published like D&D).

"It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."

Lurking Grue

Random Encounter #23