View Single Post

December 7th, 2012, 12:38
Risen 2 is undoubtedly the best RPG AND game I've played in a long while. I've played Risen 1 and the Gothics, so I was pleasantly surprised to see that the character system has finally been overhauled. There's plenty of skills that you can use in dialog and, more importantly, there's dialog specific skills. The much better character system resembles more the system of FO than the previous Gothics.

The gameworld seems smaller but I got so much fun from developing my character that I did not care. The other elements of exploration, good combat, characters, story, setting etc. are all there.

If you learn Voodoo you will be able to possess certain NPCs for quest purposes. It's pretty hilarious and I LOLd at least a few times.

Risen 2 is refreshingly hard. I had to restart since I was throwing skill points and gold willy nilly at dialog specific skills, thinking that combat shouldn't be that difficult. I made the same mistake with Divinity 2 by investing everything in to mind reading. If you're new and looking for tips, I advise against taking recommendations from this walkthrough (first result if you google "Risen 2 walkthrough:

http://guides.gamepressure.com/risen2/

This walkthrough basically states that purely combat skills are worth the investment and that you should completely disregard speech skills and magic/voodoo. This is plain wrong, since I found all skills valuable and important, and magic to be somewhat overpowered. Following this guide would be the same as creating an average intelligence and charisma fighter with Heavy Weapons, Energy Weapons and Small Guns tagged in FO.

The Walkin' Dude

Co Founder of SGLF