View Single Post

December 7th, 2012, 13:48
Wow, why don't you tell us how you really feel?
Do I sound angry? Nah, just a bit frustrated about all this.

Don't you think there's room for both? I love games like skyrim or the witcher, with action combat and great immersion. I get lost in skyrim for hours exploring and meeting npc's. especially with pc mods butů

I also enjoy the strategic party based games with slow methodical number crunching combat. I guess I see room for both and hope both continue. I see no reason to get rid of one just to have another.
I sure hope there's room for both. But just take a look at the news in RPG Watch. Excluding Cyberpunk 2077 (which will probably come out near 2077) and the new Skyrim DLC, it's all about indie old school RPG, either in kickstarster, beta phase or about to be realeased form. And this is not to say that the problem is with the site, they are just announcing what's out there. If it were not for open world games like Far Cry 3 and things like Dishonoured, which although it is clealry not an RPG, it offers many choices, the last thing I had played would have been Mass Effect 3, a long time ago. So… Yeah, there's room for everything, but I suppose there's a pattern of RPG retro fashion here.

Btw, I own my own company, have loads of cash (which ive invested some in kickstarters)and live far from my parents basement. So your demographic for people that like old school games might be a bit off.
I was just joking about the quantity of old school RPGs coming out these days. Some of them might really be made by some kid in his parent's home and be a success. Not that that investing a lot of money in a game makes it good, of course, but it is obvious that producing retro games, with retro graphics, retro mechanics, no voice acting and using the role playing internet network instead of big publicity campaigns reduces so much the cost of games that soon the market can very well be flooded with old school new RPGs.

MigRib

Watchdog