View Single Post

December 7th, 2012, 13:59
Originally Posted by blatantninja View Post
My desktop runs at 1280 x 1024 (still running old school non-widescreen monitors). I replayed BGTuTu and BG2 about 3 years ago, and while I still loved it, it just didn't seem 'natural' at that resolution. IE it looked like it was being forced to fit rather than designed for that resolution (which of course it was not). BGEE fits to me. I don't feel like I'm playing some hack job of the game, I feel like I'm playing the game as intended.
Well, all I can say is that I played BGTuTu or whatever corresponding mod around 6 months ago - and with 1280x720 it was pretty much perfect. I didn't feel like it was a hack job at all - but that's subjective, I guess.

The resolution looks fine from all the way out to mid. Zoomed all the way in, it starts looking a little stretched. I generally play at mid, and then zoom out if I want to click farther away to get my characters somewhere or if I'm looking for a specific building or something. Obviously could use the overhead map, but I find the zoom quicker and less intrusive. I've only done the zoom all the way in a few times.
Yeah, I recognise that some people find it useful. I've never felt that desire myself - but I guess we're just different here.

It's pretty instant on every area I have moved into so far (I'm about to enter the mines). No idea how they are accomplishing it, though I guess it would make sense to just load all the surrounding areas into memory. Most PC's have more memory than the entire size of the game!
Yeah, they're probably loading based on adjacency. That is significant - actually. I didn't know that, as it wasn't advertised. Sounds good.

The quick save is instant. I seem to recall when you quicksaved before that a save screen popped up, but I may be incorrect on that. If so, that is gone. You just get the "Quick Save Completed" text in the console on the bottom. The quick load (pushing L) is instant as well. Press L and literally about half a second later, your game is loaded.
Yes, you got that circular BG2 screen if you used TuTu while saving. It was pretty quick on my rig - but "instant" would be better. Another actually useful improvement.

That's interesting, and definitely a real positive.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential