View Single Post

December 8th, 2012, 21:50
Well, I'm still playing in D&D games and GMing a Star Wars game. Just to get that out of the way.

Originally Posted by MigRib View Post
If you do not agree with this, then it is your agenda that is mixed up.
Sorry, no. While you seem to put much stress on the "role playing" as, if I see this right, acting, you seem to completely neglect the "game" part. This confinement on "playing a role" makes the whole genre description meaningless. Then you end up with something like this being the epitome of role playing.

Regarding narratives, do you still find PS:T or Fallout level stuff nowadays? Most of it is so dumbed down that I have to ask myself why I have to listen to that garbage. I mean, with a story like in ME3, you have to just forget about logic and try to enjoy the game despite the awful narrative, not because of it. But that happens when you have to broaden your audience to an extent that you have to be careful to be "all-inclusive".

Sure, there were "old school" games where narrative didn't matter much. Goldbox games, for instance, which are quite primitive in this regard. With the Wizardries or M&Ms, narrative played also mostly second fiddle. But that's fine, they were first and foremost games, not soap operas where you press a button once in a while.

Turjan

Sentinel