View Single Post

December 9th, 2012, 01:44
Yes, compared to Baldur's Gate, the KotoR games have very subpar, simplistic and non-tactical combat. Which stresses the point I made: You seem not to like the gaming aspect very much. And I say this as someone who likes both, the BGs and KotoRs.
Well, that is probably true. I don't mind the gaming aspect in other kind of games. I like Dead Island, and Far Cry 3 and their non-tactical kind of action gaming. What I don't like is the strategical approach to combat, even less in games labeled as RPGs. On action adventure games I'm expecting action, I'm expecting some stealth, some observation of the enemies activity, but not really strategic movements. I can deal with that. Moving units on enemy ground is boring…

Regarding Morrowind, I don't think the strange environment is its main draw, although it certainly helps when you like that. The thing that fascinated me about the game was the world with all its factions, interlinked and working against each other, the great backgrounds, the fact that there was not only one truth to be known and that you had to make your picks without ever knowing whether you based in on the right choice. I also want to mention the aspect that you could just not think about the game and see it as the tired "hero defeats ancient evil" story, or use your brain and recognize what was actually happening to you. The game stayed behind its possibilities - as I already mentioned, the consequence department is underdeveloped in order to make most stuff available in one playthrough - but Bethesda unfortunately never tried anything like that again. That's why I find putting giant mushrooms into a Skyrim DLC doesn't quite cut it.

I still think that Morrowind is overrated just because it is ancient and people are cutting a lot of slack because of that. It is different from usual fantasy, I give it that. But that doesn't work for me because I don't like fantasy too much, so I'm not fed up with the usual medieval kind of fantasy. Everything else, having factions and choices and options, are all aspects that are contemplated on most Bethesda's games. Maybe not Oblivion, but Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas and Skyrim, all have many factions, subplots and lot's of NPC's with their own agendas. All of these games have a main plot, Morrowind has it too, it just appears to be less epic, and so everything else on the game gains importance, only because of that apparently small detail.
And I hope the next Skyrim DLC isn't just about giant mushrooms!

MigRib

Watchdog