View Single Post

December 9th, 2012, 01:43
Originally Posted by MigRib View Post
I still think that Morrowind is overrated just because it is ancient and people are cutting a lot of slack because of that. It is different from usual fantasy, I give it that. But that doesn't work for me because I don't like fantasy too much, so I'm not fed up with the usual medieval kind of fantasy. Everything else, having factions and choices and options, are all aspects that are contemplated on most Bethesda's games. Maybe not Oblivion, but Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas and Skyrim, all have many factions, subplots and lot's of NPC's with their own agendas. All of these games have a main plot, Morrowind has it too, it just appears to be less epic, and so everything else on the game gains importance, only because of that apparently small detail.
And I hope the next Skyrim DLC isn't just about giant mushrooms!
Morrowind "ancient"? I'm not sure what to think of that. It's a pretty modern 3D game, and Bethesda still uses a permutation of that engine (fortunately somewhat better optimized). If you want at least a little bit older, play Arena and/or Daggerfall. Especially the latter has a big fan following, and both games are still easy to install on modern machines. Plus, they are free. If you want ancient, play the Ultimas.

Regarding the newer Bethesda games, yes, they have factions. Morrowind had 15 joinable factions in the base game alone, plus some others you just made a few quests for (in newer games, these would have been joinable). You couldn't join all 15 at the same time, as there were restrictions, something Bethesda decided to toss in later games. These restrictions were relatively mild, and you could circumvent at least one of them, but Bethesda still tried to have at least some roleplaying in there. In later games, factions didn't matter to the outside. This is the kind of dumbing down I'm most unhappy about, as it stresses how artificial the world is.

I'm not sure about your use of the word "epic". Actually, Morrowind's plot is very epic, in the actual sense of the word. It's like an elaborate Greek drama, with gods and demigods playing a part, and you are not quite sure who the real villain is. Dagoth Ur as the betrayed one is quite an interesting antagonist. Maybe you don't like that you are the tool of a petty revenge and responsible for the destruction of Morrowind. You know, "epic" doesn't need kalpas. This "epic" is subtle, not like Oblivion's bold and stupid. It also makes fun of the concept of "hero".

Turjan

Sentinel