View Single Post

December 12th, 2012, 19:10
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Loved the Space Hulk boardgame with expansions - as well as Space Crusade. Never found any of the computer versions very interesting - as the core boardgame is quite simplistic and limited in scope - and they're all based on the core game.

I'd love an expansive turn-based version - with the features from the expansion material and that campaign book you could get for it.

Other than that, I think the setting has a lot of potential for an Aliens/System Shock type of game - heavy on atmosphere and exploration.
3rd edition actually spices things up a bit. Psykers are now a part of the core rules, and they are far less broken. There is also a new type of genestealer known as a "Broodlord", which is a tough nut to crack.
Sadly no hybrids made it into 3rd edition, most likely due to the fact that GW is trying to retcon them out of existence, and neither the Magus nor the Patriarch made the transition either (these were all present in the second Space Hulk PC game, by the way, as were Chaos Marines).

And I don't think a System Shock-like game would work all that well in the 40k setting, on board a space hulk infested by genestealers. Genesteales are basically aliens but more intelligent and psykers capable of telepathic communication, and also more durable (no acid blood though). The also have the ability to hypnotize people. There is room for something more or less System Shock-like in the 40k setting, even on board a space hulk, but with Chaos as the big threat rather than Tyranids.

Fnord

Keeper of the Watch