View Single Post

December 14th, 2012, 14:37
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Hmm, perhaps it could be my experience with Demon's Souls then. Right from the beginning of Dark Souls, I knew that MY skills will matter more than other "stuff" (i.e. level and gear). But if for someone Dark Souls is the entry point in the Souls series, I can understand why they would be inclined to think that leveling up == becoming stronger. Its definitely NOT the case most of the times in Dark Souls.
I get what you're saying. For my part part, I think one of the main things that make Dark Souls hard in the beginning (if you're new to the series) is that you're fighting the controls as mush as the enemies. Learning to move properly, position yourself and generally be patient enough to avoid taking stupid risks. I imagine having played Demon's Souls before, you would already have gotten the hang of that part.

Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
What I meant is, choose you weapons that will not hinder your skill as a player, i.e. those that affect your mobility and expose yourself defenseless for a longer duration. I have tried various heavy two-handed weapons (and even heavy armors) and they felt really clunky and slow.
I think I get what you mean. I bit of what I wrote in the paragraph above, I gather. Before I understood the whole concept of equipment load I just packed on the heaviest armour I could find, and I walked like a snail, so rolling away from enemies, and circling around them, was often a real pain. Now I make sure my eqip load is below half. I've used the Silver Knight armour alot.

I can't agree with you regarding heavy weapons though. I'd say it's just a matter of what you're used to, and you adapt your combat style to fit the weapons you use. Perhaps thats why it felt clunky for you? Switching to dexterity based weapons on my second character, surely took some time getting used to for me.

But that's the great thing about Dark Souls (and Demons Souls I assume. Would really like to play that game. That whole thing about how the world gets more difficult when you die is just wicked!), you can build you character to accommodate so many play styles.

Steinawarjar

Watcher