View Single Post

Default Knights of the Chalice

December 16th, 2012, 17:09
Greetings Watchers

I thought I'd write a little footnote to completing Knights of the Chalice this evening. The game took just under 40 hours and provided a wonderful feast of tactical turn based combat which I really enjoyed.
I went with a slightly conservative party of A knight, two clerics and a mage.
I found that once I got level 9 clerical spells (which include true resurrection) death of individual characters wasn't so much of a worry.

Has anyone finished it more than once with multiple party types?
If I played again, I'd probably go for two mages, a cleric and a knight to double the firepower and quicken fights.

I probably had the most difficulty with the King Sulphur fight at the end of the Fire Giant Pits. That was rather nasty to get a foothold in.

Some more specific feedback:

Pros:
- Turn based combat with AD&D ruleset; some great complex and tactical fights throughout.
- Excellent encounter design.
- Great manual within the game itself; easy to check and verify rules and concepts.
- A presentation somewhat reminiscent of the Dark Sun games.
- Fun implementation of metamagic feats adds depth to magic system.
- Good amount of dungeons to explore with some solid patches of difficulty requiring careful resource management. (the Orc Stockade was a great dungeon for this)

Cons:
- Slightly awkward looting system. (Although you get used to it…)
- Offensive firepower of the cleric class is a little limited; difficult to make distinctions between desired cleric types/builds.
- No thief class/limited classes overall.

I was glad to finally purchase and play this game, which I only really found out about due to the Watch/Codex covering it when it first came out. (Cheers!)
Hopefully the developer is still going strong and releases an even better sequel.

Diddledy high,
Diddledy low,
Come brave blood sheep,
You've a goodly way to go.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
Last edited by Pessimeister; December 18th, 2012 at 04:19. Reason: 62 views and no responses? And you call yourselves RPG fans! :P

Pessimeister

Living Backwards