Thread: Farcry 4
View Single Post

December 16th, 2012, 23:32
I played this for an hour or so last night. The mandatory uPlay authentication was not appreciated. After the initial login it allows 'offline mode', but now that I've turned off the cloud stuff, etc, I get a warning saying that the game might not work properly. It doesn't seem to impact the game though, I can still save, etc.

My frame rate wasn't great with default settings so I had to mess around with the video options - haven't had to do that for a while. Hopefully nVidia will release driver fixes or the game will be patched. It's not too bad, but the visuals didn't justify having to turn settings down.

After an hour or so I still haven't made it out of the tutorial / scripted 'do this do that' phase, but I've done a couple of simple missions and had a short look around. I love the tropical setting and it's a very cool world, lots of beasts / dense jungle / caves to explore, although when on a mission you can't wander outside of the 'mission area'. But it feels a lot more like the original FarCry than number 2, which is a good thing.

You can't save anywhere you like which I don't like - it's checkpoints during missions. There is a save option in the menu though which hasn't allowed me to use it yet - maybe it's just for within the hub. There's fast travel for after you've finished a mission and some QTE's, but not over-the-top.

It's early days but it's shaping up to be a lot of fun; very streamlined and good mechanics. Looking forward to it opening up a bit so I can explore.

badmofo

Tired but happy