View Single Post

December 17th, 2012, 10:22
It's not about wanting to defend yourself or not. It's about wanting to prevent the deaths of innocent people. You have to ask yourself if you're willing to do without a weapon like a gun - so that other people won't have easy access to them either. If you're helping to save lives, is that worth taking a risk of being without a gun, if you're someday confronted by someone where a gun could save you?

The thing is, though, that if guns are taken out of the culture - and the enforcement of the law is taken seriously - the chance of facing armed criminals is much much smaller. This is why there are so few cases of shootings around here. It's not just about access to guns, but about the cultural approach to such weapons.

If I had a gun and I faced someone intent on doing harm to me or my loved ones (or anyone innocent, really), I'd shoot them down without a second thought. If I was in such a situation and I didn't have a gun - I'd be very sorry I didn't have one. But that's the sacrifice you have to make for the greater good. You can't let your emotional weakness dominate - because that's exactly why so many people are being killed.

There's no reason to pretend you wouldn't kill in self-defense or the defense of a loved one. Most people would do that, and I don't care what they say. This isn't Hollywood and when the shit is going down - idealism goes by the wayside. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't strive to save lives.

We need to get rid of guns as far as that is possible. The weapon is too convenient and easy to kill with. You can't commit mass-murder with a kitchen knife without putting yourself in extreme physical danger. But guns are just too dangerous, and they need to go. End of story.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential