View Single Post

December 20th, 2012, 10:25
Originally Posted by dteowner View Post
It's really fairly simple, DArt. You Euros feel that government is a good thing. It provides for you and gives each and every citizen a kiss goodnight at bedtime and there is much rejoicing. We (or at least the targets of your derision, for whom I'm speaking) do not trust government and do not particularly like it. That radically alters one's views on what "free society" really means.
Those who argue that "freedom" means abolishing government aims to abolish the freedom that government protects. The democratic state distribute power for rational reasons (the more people who can contribute, the faster a nation develops, the faster economy grows, the more effective is to adapt to crisis's and the less conflict).

A democratic state is the most effective solution to diminish SDO's. SDO's believe they are fit to possess and wield power without being elected and without public support. Basically the kind of character you find in The Prince. Without a state, SDO's compete with eachother at the cost of everyone else. With a state they try to abolish the state or regulations that limit their access to illegitimate power. For the common folk, SDO's are useless. They have nothing to offer society but they are effective at starting proxy battles in their irrational battle for dominion. That's why common folk gather in governments so that society can function instead.

Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind. - John F Kennedy
An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world is blind. - Mahatma Gandhi
The world is my country. To do good is my religion. My mind is my own church. This simple creed is all we need to enjoy peace on earth. - Thomas Paine

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM