Thread: New Laptop ?
View Single Post

December 21st, 2012, 16:51
Aww, maybe try later when it gets obsolete - it really is like lego and Clevos are designed to be easy to access the 'hood'. My 08 Clevo has been updated 5 times and is still capable of running most modern games at mid settings (which it could no way do on the original specs), and the cost has been negligible.

On the dead pixels - I personally wouldn't go for any warranty. If it works out of the box, it's very, very, unlikely to develop a pixel issue. If it has one out of the box (fair chance) then send it back under distance selling regs (perhaps try some of the freeware pixel stimulating aps overnight beforehand). Besides, you'll probably spend most of your time hooked up to an external monitor.

As for the specs, well you know my view on CPU's So for your budget, I'd go for a Clevo built by deviltech.de, with a blistering 680M GTX, SSD and i3. I'm willing to bet that most games will be a lot faster. The fact that game devs list 'quad core' is meaningless (or worse, it's something 'approved' by Intel's marketing director). If you have some time, read about CPU + games on sites like tomshardware and anandtech.

Anyhow, best of luck with whatever you go for - I think you're definitely on the right track.

Gaxkang

Sentinel