View Single Post

December 24th, 2012, 12:51
DE:HR is MILES ahead of Dishonored in my opinion - no competition. It probably doesn't help that I don't like the art direction of Dishonored, and I'm none too fond of the setting either. It's the opposite for DE:HR - as I loved what they did with the atmosphere and especially the music.

Hmm, best of 2012. This is a hard one - not a lot of great games this year.

I'd say Secret World is probably the one that impressed me the most. It has an incredibly powerful atmosphere and fantastic storytelling. It also has a pretty cool character development system.

Borderlands 2 is also a fantastic game, and a strong sequel. It has improved pretty much everything - but left the core completely intact. Very good game.

For all its issues, I also think Diablo 3 might have been the best "short-term" (for this genre) experience of 2012. As in, I had a great time until I figured out its weaknesses. But I think I got a good 60-70 hours of strong entertainment before that happened.

Sleeping Dogs was also really, really good. The best GTA style game I've played since Red Dead Redemption - and it's better than both Saint's Row 3 and GTA 4.

Risen 2 was very good, but not truly great. Well, it's great compared to most other RPGs - but as a Piranha Bytes game, it's not good enough to warrant much excitement. It was as much a disappointment as it was a good experience.

Runners up would be Dishonored, X-Com, Fallen Enchantress and Far Cry 3. They all qualify as good games, but too far from greatness.

Biggest disappointment of 2012?

Probably Guild Wars 2 (though I was never that interested) - which is just a pathetic joke compared to the level of hype. Diablo 3 as a long-term contender for best in the genre also disappointed massively. I would add Mass Effect 3 - but it was par for the course for the new Bioware.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential