View Single Post

December 25th, 2012, 02:46
Originally Posted by killias2 View Post
However, when I read a challenging book or watch a challenging film, I never think to myself, "Boy, they should make an easier version so that others can get a watered down version of this."
We are talking about entirely different kinds of challenge here. What you get out of a game, a book or a movie emotionally and intellectually is always to some degree depending on what you are prepared to put in emotionally and intellectually. A challenging movie doesn't require any particular skill, the challenge is emotional or intellectual.

A game like Amalur requires virtually no investment or commitment, and you can still get some joy out of itů
What it doesn't require is player skill. You must still invest your time and attention. Dark Souls on the other hand, require too much player skill. And you must still invest your time and attention. I'm not interested in difficulty. If I kill the same 100 enemies 100 times replaying the same section and dying 100 times, or if I kill 10 000 rather samey enemies playing through bland areas of filler content, never dying at all, makes little difference to me. It's too repetitive both ways.

The more difficulty options there, the less designers can specifically tailor each section to be what they want, and the more designers end up creating a game that's just meant to appeal in a different way, a la Amalur.
Not necessarily. There could always be an intended difficulty. It's usually "normal" slotted in between "hard" and "easy". But I wouldn't mind "normal" followed by "too easy" and "way too easy". Besides, how easy or hard you find a challenge is completely individual. It's impossible to taylor the individual experience unless you let individuals taylor it themselves.

If a movie like 'Eraserhead' was 're-touched' to be easier to enjoy, then it would be a different product. The same is true of Souls.
Again, it's not the same thing. You can still watch the whole movie, regardless of how little you enjoy it.

Mr Smiley

Watchdog