Thread: New Laptop ?
View Single Post

December 25th, 2012, 15:04
Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
I can return the laptop within 7 days, no questions asked.

The dead pixel thing is an extra 20 for a year or 12 for a month.
LCD manufacturing has dramatically improved over the past several years so you are very unlikely to have dead pixels. It's not an entirely impossible though and since the screen is attached to the machine in the case of laptops, it does happen and it can be quite frustrating when its a bright stuck-on pixel in the middle of the screen. At 12 pounds it might be worth it for the peace of mind but you will be unlikely to need it. I wouldn't bother with the one year one at all though since this sort of defect is going to be immediately obvious the first time you boot it up if you take a close careful look at the screen. In either case it would be better of thinking of it as buying peace of mind instead of insurance because the risk is so low.

So if you buy it then it will most likely be wasted money and if you don't buy it there's a very small chance you'll have dead pixels that fall outside the existing ISO dead pixel specs and be out of luck. I'd be willing to bet you 100 pounds you won't make use of it if you do buy it - if that gives you some estimation of how much you need to or don't need to worry.

jhwisner

SasqWatch