View Single Post

December 25th, 2012, 16:56
Originally Posted by Mr Smiley View Post
I don't agree with this at all. Sure, if a game mechanic is good enough, you don't need "atmosphere" or content. The perfect example is Tetris; it's all about the challenge of play, the "world" consists of falling geometrical shapes, and that's it.

While any game can be more ore less driven by either mechanic or content, and Tetris is one extreme, RPGs are mostly content-driven. They are about the game world, about characters, lore and story. The gameplay mechanic is there to support the content.

So, while I get what you mean, that for you, the world and lore are there to support the game mechanic, for me it's the other way around. The game mechanic is there to support the content. If difficulty gets in the way of exploring the content, that's a problem.
I agree with you 100% for most RPGs. But not Souls. These are not narrative rich games. These are not games with role-playing options. These are not games with a whole lot of lore, though there is some there if you want it. That's simply not what Souls is about.

I mean, do you play Wizardry for the lore? Rogue? There are RPGs with a focus on challenging gameplay, and the Souls games are among them.

"No risk for this one to happen. Apart from inventing what negative RP playing is, it is hard to withdraw from zero."
I was referencing the different modes in Mass Effect 3.

"Since, for example, a tutorial was introduced in TW2, a game that was supposed to appeal to old school gamers who are supposed to make out the most of a gameplay by simply figuring it out, it turns into answering to demands from specific groups.

The question is therefore no longer why access to demands by people after release but why not access to demands from certain people after release. "

1. I have no problems with tutorials or accessibility. If anything, I think it's good to open up accessibility as long as you don't challenge the experience itself. Of course, if a tutorial ruins the experience of learning -certain- things, it can have that impact, but, in my experience, tutorials tend to be pretty minimalist. Just enough to get you started.

2. Not all demands will be met because not all are reasonable for a game. On top of that, I think there are some really bad decisions made to widen appeal.

Overall, to people arguing with me, consider these two points:
1. Do you think the challenging gameplay could be considered the central defining element of the Souls games? Think about all the conversations you've ever read about these games. All the reviews. All the previews. The interviews. The comments. Is there a single element of these games that is discussed more often and more intensively?

2. If your answer to 1. is 'Yes,' should a game developer really be moving resources -away- from the central defining feature of a game in order to appeal to a completely different audience?

If your answer to both is 'Yes,' then we completely disagree, and we should depart in opposite directions from this conversation. If your answer to 1. is 'No,' then I really don't understand where you're coming from on Souls.

killias2

Sentinel