View Single Post

December 25th, 2012, 17:19
Originally Posted by Mr Smiley View Post
So, while I get what you mean, that for you, the world and lore are there to support the game mechanic, for me it's the other way around. The game mechanic is there to support the content.
Id say that in this case such viewpoint only reinforces the notion that an easy mode would very likely be a waste .

I mean, in Dark Souls the difficulty is inherent constituent of the atmosphere, pacing or the sense of discovery and its the central pillar of the experience the developers wanted to provide, THE support. You remove it, most of the other aspects will end up on shaky ground.
Also, an easy mode for Dark Souls would pretty much mean removing areas like Sens Fortress, Blighttown or Tomb of Giants entirely because players "not interested in difficulty" would not get through these without having to go against their disinterest.

Basically, I see an easy mode as something incompatible with how Dark Souls was designed as a whole.
Originally Posted by Kefka View Post
It still baffles me that people care how other people enjoy games,
A mode for players who are not willing to/interested in levelling up as players, in a game with a strong and organic vision like Dark Souls, would need to go deeper than simply lowering the damage received and raising the damage dished and Im afraid that making such mode enjoyable would require broad adjustments that would influence the normal mode as well.

If FromSoftware comes up with an easy mode whose existence will not in any form affect the normal mode then Ill have zero complaints (well, maybe besides being sad seeing a developer likely sacrificing their vision, at least partially, for the sake of inclusiveness), however since Im quite doubtful its possible Id rather if FromSoftware would try other ways to make the game more inclusive - like making a better tutorial.

What you think about most, is what you become.
Last edited by DeepO; December 25th, 2012 at 17:38.

DeepO

deep outside