View Single Post

December 26th, 2012, 22:42
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
You mean it was unfairly characterized as "Oblivion with guns"… a childish insult used mostly by those aformentioned old-school elitists. It bore the Fallout name because it was a Fallout game. I get a kick out of the people who try to claim otherwise… mostly with crap like "But it's not turn-based or isometric
I do know what you are saying … but don't think that either side of the debate has a universality of truth. From my review:

I definitely agree that calling this game ‘Oblivion with guns’ does a disservice – perhaps calling it Oblivion meets a real RPG meets the Fallout universe reimagined as a FPS meets … well, perhaps that is why ‘Oblivion with guns’ gets used. But my point is that while the use of the Oblivion engine is pretty obvious, and the fact that some of the design aesthetic comes from Oblivion (caves and sewers in particular), those are cosmetic things that bear little significance on the overall game.
also, from a different 'first impressions' article I wrote:

First and foremost: anyone who denies that Fallout 3 *IS* ‘Oblivion with guns’ is either lying to you or themselves. At the same time, anyone who claims that ‘Oblivion with guns’ is ALL that Fallout 3 has to offer is being similarly dishonest.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch