View Single Post

December 27th, 2012, 00:11
Originally Posted by Mr Smiley View Post
The renowned difficulty of Dark Souls is a cheap trick; a marketing ploy, really. As others have noted, it makes you "feel like a king" when you beat the game. But any game can be made difficult, or even impossible. It's not what makes the game good.

You want to feel superior, member of an exclusive "hard core" elite, playing a game not accessible to lesser, more "casual" players? That's it, isn't it?

And I think it's a shitty attitude.

Because you can have your game. I don't begrudge you that difficulty and false sense of achievement. You can have it. Why then, do you begrudge me my game? Why, when an easy mode would not prevent you from playing the hard mode?
"You want to feel superior, member of an exclusive "hard core" elite, playing a game not accessible to lesser, more "casual" players? That's it, isn't it?"

No, I want to enjoy a game that's challenging. For Christ's sake, what's so wrong with that? What's so wrong with wanting a game where the focus is on creating a challenging experience? I've already said that my problem isn't with accessibility. It's with the core game experience. This is a game built around a certain level of challenge. The lore, the music, the atmosphere, the respawn and saving mechanics, the quasi-multiplayer and online messages - they're all built around a challenging game. The moment you stop designing a game around that experience you start designing a completely different game. Again, if you want an easy Action RPG, there are -ample- options.

Seriously, answer this simple question: should every game be designed for absolutely everyone? Or do you accept SOME specialization? SOME ability for designers to design a game for an audience?

killias2

Sentinel