View Single Post

December 27th, 2012, 05:25
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
This is completely beyond the point, even ignoring how fast travel didn't see its birth with TES but existed long before.
Other games handled fast travels far better, anyway, nailing down that sweet spot between making movements convenient and not making the world building feeling pointless (i.e. Ultima, Gothic, Risen, etc).

the problem when fast travel is taken fro granted, like it was in those Bethesda games, is how it actively affects design.

Did you even try to play Skyrim without making any use of fast travel?
It's an awful, dreadful experience (even more than just playing the game as it is, I mean) because even for the most stupid, trivial quest like "deliver this wood spoon to my granny so she can eat her soup" you have to travel across half continent. Everyone has a task for you that implies miles and miles of travel to the most worthless shit.
Now, when you have a well designed open world game like Gothic 2 or Risen, on the other hand, world and quest designers make an active effort to keep everything at a good pacing, making you travel little distances for trivial tasks and bigger ones for "big deals".

If you make an attempt, you will easily realize that Skyrim, a mediocre game by itself, becomes literally *unbearable* if played without fast travel, at least for everyone who isn't into LARPing.

This is the subtle effect that a single feature, apparently completely unrelated to the core design, can have on the whole game, even when it's supposed to be "optional".
I think I made it clear I played Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas without Fast travel for over 100 hours each. That is beside the fact that Skyrim has ingame fast travel, and beside the fact that all the TES games(well not sure about arena only played it a little) do the same thing(send you all over the place), if you don't like it then its not for you.

Many people like the endless wandering, that is why I don't like fast travel and many people don't play quest by quest, I just pick up quest and do them as able. And for those that don't like that there is fast travel, both ingame and on the map and faster travel via horses, it gets even more fantastic because Skyrim like OB and MW beforehand are basically the most customize games ever, because of all the mods. Want better travel options, mod, want to not even bother with Skyrim(i.e the province) mod, want to change this or that, mod. Want basically unlimited gameplay, mod mod mod mod. Its absurd the how much value Beth's games have.

And you may not like Skyrim but it reach the highest levels of achievement, massive games sales and popularity and extremely well received by the critics. That is a damn good game right there, when both the critics and fans line up behind you. Bethesda is masterful game maker. I don't like most non rpg's, but I do think that say a game like that new Batman game from last year which also got great metacritic scores and great sales is clearly a good game, even though I did not like it when I tried playing it.

Skyrim was just not your style of game.

I am free because I choose to be so-me

Kefka

Watchdog