View Single Post

December 27th, 2012, 09:48
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I didn't perceive anything that terrible about Nero or the plot. At least not compared to the earlier films. It's certainly not my favorite, but I just don't see it as being that bad.
Well, to each his own. To me, he was completely devoid of personality and his plan made no sense whatsoever - and that whole "red matter" thing was just a joke.

But let's be honest.. Star Trek has never been about great movies, and some of the older films were laughably bad. For example, Abrams' plot was certainly not worse than that of 'The Voyage Home'.
I disagree. I actually liked The Voyage Home as a deliberate light movie, even if the plot was silly. I also liked the message it was sending, however naive it may have been. But the movie stayed true to the characters and the show. I also think the humor is great, I have to say. It also has some of the best Spock scenes - especially in the beginning.

The Abrams movie isn't a deliberate light movie, but rather a brainless action mess that disrespects not only its characters but Star Trek as a whole.

But no, the movies have never been all that great - with a couple of exceptions. But, in the past, they've stayed true to the characters and the show in general. The Abrams movie was something entirely different. It had nothing to do with the show or the characters. It was just a piece of crap that might have worked with another name and as a low-brow sci-fi timewaster.

But then you're obviously far more passionate about Star Trek than I am. I consider myself a fan, but not so much that I've watched every series. In fact, TOS and TNG are the only ones I watched on a regular basis. I've actually seen very little of DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise.
I'm very passionate about the concept behind Star Trek and some of the characters. TOS had a LOT of crap in it (it's around 60-70% crap) - and TNG is probably ~30% crap. But I do care a great deal about what it tried to do and how it provoked a good dose of thought and discussion. It's so incredibly rare - and sci-fi shows almost never go there anymore.

I must admit I don't think I ever watched it beyond the first season, and it sounds like it gets a lot better after that. If I ever have the time to start watching old series' again, maybe I'll give it another chance.
The first season is terrible, truly. However, already in the second season - things start to change. You definitely should give it another go.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential