View Single Post

December 27th, 2012, 10:23
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
Everyone can make a game that is simply hard or frustrating, that's true. But what makes DS stand out compared to many games today is exactly how it achieves the goal to be mildly challenging (because let's face it, it's not even that hard, it has this reputation just because many gamers are spoiled sissies today) without ever being unfair or frustrating just for the sake of it.
I agree. I like the combat and type the of difficulty it presents. I love the rather slow, deliberate pacing, and the fact that the game plays fair (mostly). I wouldn't have spent over 100 hours playing the game if I didn't like it. But I still suck at it. It's not that I can't figure out how to beat enemies in the game. Even when I know exactly what to do, I find the timing and execution hard. Much for the same reason, I never play real time strategy games, while I love turn based ones.

That's where the good system design -and not the "cheap tricks", as you claim- shines.
I agree. The system design shines. It's the level of difficulty that's the cheap trick.

Every time you die, you never feel like the game has cheated you, you have to admit you probably did something wrong.
That's only true if you possess a certain manual dexterity and coordiantion. When I finally defeated Ornstein and Smough, it was not because I had suddenly figured out how to do it, it was sheer luck that I was able to actually implement my strategy. And that's not how it's supposed to be.

Mr Smiley

Watchdog