View Single Post

December 27th, 2012, 19:40
Kefka, I agree with you that, in some kinds of games, that approach to difficulty makes perfect sense. However, Souls is basically nothing a but a series of challenges. There aren't towns. There isn't much narrative. The series of events is quite linear, so it's not really that open-ended for exploration. This game is basically nothing but a series of challenges.

Above, I compared it to an Adventure game. I mean, how would you make an Easy mode for an adventure game without either making it worthless or designing a second game? The same is basically true of Dark Souls. Different scenes are combat puzzles of sorts that you need to solve. It's not like Skyrim where a simple shift of stats results in broadly the same experience at a different difficulty level. I forget who said it, but someone said something along the lines of "In a game built around learning, taking out the learning leaves you with nothing." I think that's true of Souls.

Honestly, if you don't like challenge, I don't know what you want from Souls. There are plenty of action RPGs built for people who aren't looking for that level of challenge. That's all Souls is. As Dartagnan is (to some extent) pointing out, this -is- what the game is. There's not a lot else to it.

killias2

Sentinel