View Single Post

December 28th, 2012, 12:14
And now a few words on the difficulty itself.

Many have stated that the difficulty is an inherent part of the design of Dark Souls, essential to the experience the developers intended for the player. (Prepare to die, right?) And I agree.

But what is difficulty in a game like this? How do you measure it? Actually, it can be easily measured in deaths and attempts.

Take any given obstacle in the game. This is a game where death is a natural ingredient; you are supposed to die and retry. How many times should you die and retry before you overcome a particular obstacle? What experience did the developers intend?

I don't know. But let's assume that if you defeat a particular enemy on the first try without dying, then the game is too easy for you, because the developer's intention was for you to experience three or four deaths there. Then, if you die ten times, the game is too hard for you, for the same reason.

My point is that the developers can't possibly control the player experience, because it's individual. Nor should they. The difference between interactive entertainment and movies, is that a game lets the player control their own experience to some extent, while movies are all about the director controlling the experience.

Mr Smiley

Watchdog