View Single Post

December 28th, 2012, 22:17
Originally Posted by DeepO View Post
Lots of stuff from DeepO
This can go on forever, and it's really nothing but an exchange about subjective tastes that are hard to articulate precisely without entering the mind of the other side.

That said, I think I have a good idea of why you like Dark Souls - and I can certainly understand why a lot of people would like it.

I'll assume you have a similar feeling about why I'm not a big fan of it, though I respect the design even if it's narrow.

I'm not going to buy that I'm wrong about the game or that I'm missing some super vital elements, but since I'll probably have a go at it again at some point - I'll find out and report back. I can probably survive you thinking that I'm making unfair and totally incorrect assessments about it until then - or I'll just have to die

As for quantity > quality - I'm actually really, really greedy and I want both. That's why I'm so hard to please. That's also why I wasn't very fond of Morrowind and Oblivion - because both suffered from not having enough quality to match my demands.

I don't think I have the stamina to enter into another huge exchange about why I think Skyrim has a lot of quality considering the quantity - so let's agree to disagree about that. Beyond that, I'm a huge fan of broad freeform and non-linear gameplay, so naturally I'm even more inclined to appreciate a game like Skyrim, which is entirely unmatched in that department - as far as I'm concerned.

It's the one game that's close to the kind of design I used to dream about when I was a kid and imagining what the future of gaming would be like. I was so naive to expect anything even remotely like the dream designs I came up with - but Skyrim is actually surprisingly close to matching a dream for me. No other game in the world has managed to do that - so far.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential