View Single Post

December 29th, 2012, 13:09
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
So, you're saying Mass Effect would work better without spoken dialogue?
No, that's an example of a game that definitely needs voice acting. Too bad that didn't save it from being a mediocre series anyways.

Seriously, though, I think that voice acting is better when done well - and it's done well in Skyrim. It's done well in Fallout 3 and it's done well in New Vegas.
Eh? I'm one of the biggest defenders of FO3 around here, but the voice acting was mostly terrible.

Sure, with voice acting, you do lose a bit of verbosity - but you get a much, much more immersive experience out of it. I'm not a big fan of too much text - and I think Torment is a good example of text dominating the experience - turning it into something other than a game. Which is fine - but such a thing is better suited for books, I think.
Torment is obviously not a typical game and would be an extreme example. There's probably only a handful of games ever made that have that much text.

As far as immersion is concerned, sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't. It's always going to be one of those subjective things.

JDR13

SasqWatch